2018 RULES + GUIDELINES
Quantum Acrobatics Competition is based out of beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia. We are committed to providing an ideal format for acrobatic dancers, with appropriate venues and a qualified judging panel.
Performing should give each dancer a higher level of self-esteem, achievement and accomplishment. We feel that all dancers deserve recognition and acknowledgement, whether they take one hour of classes per week or fifteen.
Come and participate in one of Western Canada’s new and favourite acrobatics events! We look forward to seeing you.
REGISTRATION OPENS SEPTEMBER 1ST!
Registration deadline: December 15th 2018
Confirmation email from online submission does not guarantee entry.
Email from our team confirming space and payment received secures your place.
DOWNLOAD RULES AND REGS HERE
GENERAL RULES + INFO
ADJUDICATION + AWARDS
MUSIC + TIME LIMITS
TEACHER + DIRECTOR INFO
GENERAL RULES + INFO
- Dancers must be registered with a studio. No independent entries will be accepted.
- Entries will not be processed until full payment is received.
- Each solo, duo or trio dancer must be entered into at least one group to qualify for any high score awards.
- Soloists may enter themselves only once per category. Duo and trio dancers must have a change of partners to compete twice in the same category.
- Levels are calculated based on hours of all gymnastic/acrobatic training per week - all acro class time to be included.
- Re-dances are permitted in Novice and Intermediate categories only. Re-dances are permitted in all categories due to technical problems or anything not of the dancer’s fault.
- All numbers must be appropriate for family viewing or may be subject to penalties at management discretion.
- Categories may be combined or separated based on entries received and at the discretion of event management.
- There is no sprung floor provided. Stage will have regular Marley flooring.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Fees do not include GST.
- Studios must pay by certified cheque or money order. Studio cheques will not be accepted. Entries received by electronic entry form will not be processed until payment is received.
- Each late entry is to pay a $15 surcharge and will be accepted only if the schedule permits.
- We reserve the right to refuse entries.
- Entries accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Draft schedule sent to studio by email at least 4 weeks prior to event date.
- Please Note: Confirmation email from online submission does not guarantee entry. Email from our team confirming space and payment received secures your place.
- Thank you in advance for ensuring all entries are accurate. Inaccurate entries may be subject to penalties.
Props, touching, floor work and lip synching is permitted in all categories. We reserve the right to combine or separate categories.
SOLO >> 1 PERFORMER
DUO/TRIO >> 2 or 3 PERFORMERS
GROUP >> 4 or MORE PERFORMERS
ADULT >> 1 or MORE PERFORMERS ARE 19+
In ALL categories, Solo, Duo/Trio and Groups - ANYTHING GOES – Contortion, tumbling, pyramiding, rhythmic, circus and of course acrobatics.
Categories will be split or combined by STYLE based on entries received and at the discretion of the event management.
Include acrobatics/gymnastics training hours ONLY. Use average of all dancers. 0.5 is rounded to the higher level.
STANDARD > LESS THAN 3 HOURS PER WEEK (GROUP AVERAGE)
NOVICE >>0-2 years of training completed. (Started Sept 2016 or later). No min. age
INTERMEDIATE >> 3 or more years of training completed. (Started Sept 2015 or earlier ). No min. age
INTENSIVE > 3 OR MORE HOURS PER WEEK
ADVANCED >> Minimum 3-6 years of training completed. (Started Sept 2012 to 2015). Minimum age 12
ACCELERATED >> Over 6 years of training completed. (Started Sept 2011 or earlier) Minimum age 12
ADULT >> Solo/Duo/Trios – ONE or more dancers aged 19 and over. Groups - TWO or more dancers aged 19 and over.
- Gymnastics hours HAVE to be included in the consideration of ALL levels, combined with acrobatics class hours
- Dancer cannot go down in hours or levels when leaving from gym training to acrobatic training. (If 4 yrs completed and have had 4 hrs gym training and now it’s your 1st year of acrobatics – still in ADVANCED/ACCELERATED because of previous training)
- Please calculate level by averaging the hours of instruction per duo, trio or group member. (0.5 is rounded to the higher level).
- Inaccurate entries may be subject to penalties.
- Acrobatics/Gymnastics training before the age of 5 cannot be included in number of years
- Dancers may not enter a lesser level than previously danced.
- Levels are subject to change because of age (12 and under or 12 and over)
- If you have under 3 yrs of training completed and more than 3 hrs/week = INTERMEDIATE
- Calculate level using dancer’s age as of DECEMBER 31, 2018
- Duos, trios, and groups - add and average the age of all the dancers (0.5 is rounded to the higher age)
- Age Divisions may be combined or separated depending on number of entries.
- Adult Dance - Solo/Duo/Trios – ONE or more dancers aged 19 and over. Groups - TWO or more dancers aged 19 and over.
ADJUDICATION + AWARDS
- 3 qualified, experienced adjudicators
- Scores are out of an average of the 3 adjudicators.
- Each routine will receive 3 comment sheets with their scores.
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd and Performance placements are awarded in each category
- Awards Sessions to be held at least 3 times.
- High Score Awards will be presented at the completion of each level.
- Choreography Awards - 1 at every awards session to recognize the amazing choreographers
- Spirit Awards - Chosen by the adjudicators and given out at each award session to a number that shows amazing energy, excitement and enthusiasm for dance!
- Judge’s Pick –The judge’s pick one performer from each session, preferably out of a group, to give more recognition for something special they saw on stage.
- Top three highest scoring performances in each level category will advance to The Quantum Challenge held at the end of the event.
- The top 3 performers from the Quantum Challenge are then invited back to perform at the Provincial Honours Performance in May.
MUSIC + TIME LIMITS
SOLOS, DUOS, TRIOS 3 minutes
GROUPS 5 minutes
PRODUCTIONS* 15 minutes
*Maximum of 5 min for set-up + take-down for productions
- Dancers are timed from the first note of the music until the last dancer exits the stage.
- All dances are timed by a Quantum timer.
- Overtime penalties will be levied.
- Overtime entries will not be eligible for highscore awards.
- Please ensure prop set-up and take-down is prompt.
- Teacher or studio representative to play music on equipment provided by the competition.
- Please be sure to carry backup copies.
- CD and iPod connection will be available at all events.
- Admission $3 per day.
- Dancers are FREE at the event (please sign upon arrival).
- Registered choreographers and studio directors are FREE at the event (please sign in upon arrival).
- Programs $5
- At the request of event choreographers there is to be NO camera or video equipment of any kind used in the theatre, including cell phones.
- Doors to the theatre or ballroom will open 30 minutes prior to the start of each day.
- Awards will be posted online live from the event if wireless internet is available.
- Professional photographers and-or videographers will be onsite whenever possible.
- Admission to theatre for performers is FREE during the event (please sign in upon arrival).
- Please encourage and support all dancers.
- Be sure to JOIN in on Facebook and FOLLOW us on Instagram!
TEACHER + DIRECTOR INFORMATION
- No one takes care of teachers like we do at Quantum!
- Green room with coffee, snacks and catered meals at the event are provided for all registered choreographers and studio directors.
- If the venue permits we provide a monitor of the stage in the green room.
- Please sign in at the front desk upon arrival at the event.
- Admission and program complimentary for all registered choreographers and studio directors.
- Teachers are responsible for playing their own music on equipment provided by the competition - both CD and iPod connections available.
- Event directors are always on site to answer your questions.
- Adjudication sheets are available through electronic Dropbox to Teachers or an authorized studio representative only after each High Score Award Session (with the exception of the high score winners in each level). Studio Directors may authorize (in writing only) additional representatives to receive adjudication sheets.
Contact Us for hard copy entry forms
Question >> EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org or CALL 604.469.6434